Computer Systems Administrator – £30,000k – £40,000k – Reading, Oxford, Newbury, Slough
Tec Partners is looking for an experienced Computer Systems Administrator who wants to use a range of computer systems for distributed control, data acquisition, data analysis and data storage.
These are predominantly x86 based PCs, running the Linux operating system, with some Windows systems for special purpose applications. Hence Linux based servers and workstations are core to supporting the operation of the accelerators and photon beamlines. In addition, to support data acquisition and analysis, there are large central computation clusters and storage servers. The scientific computing infrastructure is provided and managed by a dedicated scientific computing systems administration team.
This position will join a dynamic and growing team to implement, develop and support the computing infrastructure and services.
* Design and develop the computer systems;
* Systems administration in compliance
* Commission and diagnose faults in computer systems;
* Develop automation tools for system administration tasks;
* Provide operational support and analysis of installed computer systems and networks.
* Collaborate with staff and colleagues, including engineers and scientists, at all stages of the development life cycle to, for example, develop requirements, track project progress, and verify operation of computer systems;
* Contribute to the processes, associated software development and data management to support the design and operation of computer systems
* Liaise with, and supervise, contractors and suppliers of turnkey computer systems and networks;
* Provide technical expertise in computer systems and skills in system management of computer systems;
* Maintain a current knowledge of the computer systems on other, comparable, science facilities;
* Communicate details of computer systems developments
* Assistance in the preparation of tenders and service level agreements for external suppliers of required services;
* Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis.
Qualification & Experience – Essential
* Educated to honours level in degree or equivalent other degree + relevant experience; or BTEC HNC/HND + relevant experience;
* Relevant experience in the computer systems administration in a Unix or Linux environment;
* Experience of modern computer systems management techniques, design and implementation;
* Knowledge of networking protocols such as DHCP, SNMP, DNS and NAT;
* Experience of computer system and network security;
* Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration;
* Experience of using Unix shell scripting to automate common tasks;
* An ability to work as part of a team;
* Demonstrate an understanding of staff supervision;
* Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management;
* An enthusiasm for solving technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary;
* Self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility;
* Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision;
* An ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
Qualification & Experience – Desirable
* Completion of a recognised Unix Systems Administration certification (Linux Professional Institute certification, Certified Solaris Administrator or similar);
* Experience of Windows operating systems and their administration;
* Experience of scientific computing environments;
* Experience of Python and/or Perl scripting;
* Experience in the design and implementation of modern computer networks and the attached systems and services;
* Experience of high performance computing, networking and storage technologies;
* Experience of remote administration of complex networking architectures;
* Project management experience.
* Further Information
* The roleholder may be required to work overtime at unsociable hours;
* Available to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home;
* Be prepared to undertake further training;
* Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Thomas at Tec Partners or apply here with your latest CV.
At Tec Partners we are committed to being an inclusive organisation that provides equality of opportunity to all in terms of employment, recruitment and the service we provide to our customers. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Job Reference: Computer Systems Adm_1507385327
Salary: £30000 - £40000 per annum
Salary per: Annum
Job Start Date: ASAP
Job Type: Permanent
Job Industry: IT